Monday, February 24, 2014

More Recipes, Zucchini Lasagna and Egg Muffins

Today was a busy Monday! I got up this morning and decided I would not be defeated by a crazy Monday so I wore this super awesome shirt made by my girl @stellarcheri!
#findyourstrong......I am finding mine and I hope this blog will inspire others to find theirs.

I stayed focused and stuck to my 6 meals! #feelinggood. Being a teacher you eat when the kids eat so I have had to make some adjustments to my schedule but it looks like this:
6:30 am: meal 1- usually just coffee
8:00 am: meal 2- oatmeal and egg whites, egg muffins, or sometimes just a protein bar.
11:00 am: meal 3- LUNCH- fish or chicken, with some sort of green veggie and quinoa or brown rice.
2:00 pm: meal 4 (sometimes this one is earlier, its my hungry hour!) protein bar and cool brew coffee with almond milkß my fav!
5:00 pm: meal 5- DINNER- repeat lunch
8:00 pm: meal 6 ( this meal is often skipped, it should not be though because your body continues to burn calories as you sleep and it needs protein to do that.) So I have a protein shake or bar, tonight was different keep reading for that yumminess! 

After work I hit the pool for a 1000 meter swim. Short swim, but I am working on swimming without stopping in between laps. My son comes with me to the pool and of course he tries to talk to me between each lap, but I have to do what I can to get it done. #noexcuses

The cooking craze continued into the afternoon yesterday! Next up was a family favorite that is so simple to prepare ahead of time and makes our mornings easier throughout the week. My husband and my son love to eat these. I put 2 in a Ziploc bag and breakfast for the week is done. You can even freeze them.
Egg Muffins


1/2 cup of shredded Colby jack cheese

12 eggs
12 slices of turkey (or whatever you prefer)
Salt and pepper

Spray the muffin tin first with non stick spray. Then line the pan with turkey, ham, or bacon. (Bacon makes them a little greasy and takes longer to cook.) Then, crack an egg into each cup. Top with seasoning of your choice and cheese. There are endless combinations you can make for these, this is just our favorite.
The nutrition facts vary depending on what you use but these have about 100 calories per cup!

My husband’s favorite meal is lasagna. When we first met I cooked it for him for special occasions but a serving of regular lasagna can have up to 500 calories. We are both working on new lifestyles so that meal can no longer be made in our house! So I found a recipe for zucchini lasagna. The noodles are replaced with zucchini. YUM! I’m not one to follow recipes so I sort of make up my own with the things we like. Anyway here it is……..

Zucchini Lasagna
4 large zucchini
1 jar marinara sauce
1 can tomato sauce
1 lb ground turkey
Turkey pepperoni
Mushrooms
2 bags grated mozzarella
1 16 oz container or part skim ricotta
1 egg

First I brown the ground turkey then add marinara and tomato sauce. I peel the zucchini first and slice them thin long ways. (These are the noodles so make sure they aren't too thick.) Then I mix the ricotta, egg, and 1 bag of the mozzarella in a bowl. Now the layering begins! First sauce, then zucchini, then cheese mixture, last pepperoni and mushrooms and repeat. Once it’s all finished top with the other bag of cheese and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for about an hour.
Again depending on what ingredients you use and how big your serving the calories can vary but this one has about 230 calories per cup.
I log all of my meals using My Fitness Pal. It’s an awesome app to track food and exercise. You can create recipes and that’s how I get the nutrition facts on the meals I cook.

I have a new obsession and it is cold bananas with peanut butter! Of course my homemade peanut butter! Tonight I added cocoa powder to it and it was so good! 

                                                        ~swimbikerunfuel


No comments:

Post a Comment